Philly Pride: June 18th, 2017
Philly Pride is the largest celebration of LGBT pride in the region, attracting over 25,000 people each year. By 1972, many cities, including Philadelphia, were staging gay pride parades and festivals. From 1977 to 1987, there were no parades in Philadelphia. The Lesbian and Gay Task Force in Love Park sponsored a parade in the gayborhood. This parade was so successful that community leaders got together to build a group that would coordinate a gay pride parade and festival in Philadelphia every June. That organization is Philly Pride Presents, and we are celebrating our 28th PrideDay. Every year we grow. More and more people join us in the festivities with smiles on their faces ready to have fun.
- the parade starts to arrive at the Great Plaza festival location
- Adding to the complications this year is the apparent closure of the staircase which led from the Market Street over pass to the parking lot below and then to the North gate along the river.
- Things will get sufficiently more complicated as all parade goers descent on the main gates to Penn’s Landing.
- the LGBT Pride Parade and Festival, begins in the heart of the Gayborhood at 13th and Locust (11:30) proceeds through Center City and Philadelphia’s historic district.
- You can get 6 hours of entertainment and 150 vendors and community groups for such a low price
29th Annual Pride Day Parade and Festival 11:30 A.M.
Parade starts at 13th and Locust. Festival gates open at Noon at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing, Columbus Blvd and Chestnut Street The Parade reaches the festival at approximately 1:30pm
(1) There will be significantly fewer parking spaces again this year due to the opening of the Great Plaza’s roller-rink. The best option would be to take public transportation. The Market-Frankford (Blue) Line stops at 2nd & Market, which is just a short 3 block walk over the Market Street/I-95 overpass to the Festival.
(2) There will be volunteers and coordinators selling wristbands at the June 16th block party (discounted to $10). Volunteers and coordinators will be selling wristbands at parade kickoff in the gayborhood, at Independence Hall, and at Front and Market (the foot of the I-95 overpass) for the regular admission price of $15. It is best to buy your wristbands there and avoid the lines at the Great Plaza. If you get your wristbands ahead of time, you do not have to stand in line again at the ticket booths! Additionally, it appears that the staircase leading from the Market Street overpass down to the parking lot and North Gate will be closed. To avoid the grief of standing in line, get your wristband ahead of time or use theSouth Gate at the Seaport Museum.
(3) Do yourself a favor and avoid backpacks. They will be searched and items like alcohol confiscated.
(4) Check out all our vendors. Come hungry and thirsty. There will be plenty to eat and drink as you enjoy the festivities.
DAY TIME ACTIVITIES
William Way Homecoming: Saturday
Saturday June 17th, 2017
11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
William Way LGBT Center.
PRIDE AT NIGHT
Philly Pride Kick-Off Block Party
Friday June 16th, 2017
6:00 PM -11:00 PM
12th and Locust Street. Start the weekend of festivities off with our block party at 12th and Locust. Wristbands for Sunday’s Festival discounted to $10. If you get your wristband in advance, you can save yourself some grief dealing with the lines into Penn’s Landing Great Plaza.