Epicurean Travel: Catalonia. This wonderful, sun-drenched part of Spain is home to the famous (artists and chefs) and those who live by the earth (fisherman and artisans). Catalonia is a truly unique area of Spain with its own version of the language, approach to life and appreciation of culture. Come with us to experience life along the sea with warm, welcoming people, a rich history to discover and incomparable foods to savor. Along the way we stop in Montjuic to enjoy an amazing vista, then onto Placa de Espania and Avenida, which parallel the harbor where the Catalonia meets the sea.
- Lunch in the shade by the beach and afterwards we leave the city and drive north to our first hotel in the countryside, a grand area to discover.
- Dinner will served at the former house of a famous author, where we will be introduce to a typical Catalan meal and lifestyle.
- Dinner will be served in a traditional Catalan restaurant.
- Visit to the harbor of L’Estartit, where we board a sailing ship that takes us to the protected Medes Islands and up the coast into a bay where we can take a refreshing swim and enjoy lunch.
- Incredible trip to Peretallada, where a local and charming guide will show us some hidden treasures and share stories while we sample local wines. Dinner will be served in a traditional Catalan restaurant
- In the evening we can take a stroll and explore the attractions of Barri Gotic, while we enjoy some delicious tapas and wines from various vendors.
Day 1 : Arrive in Barcelona, enjoy a quick tour and drive north to stay in the countryside
Arrive in Barcelona, were you are met by a local guide. Relax during a quick tour of the city, before we head north to stay in the countryside. Enjoy the richness of the culture and architecture, lifestyle, food and beaches that Barcelona has to offer. Along the way we stop in Montjuic to enjoy an amazing vista, then onto Placa de Espania and Avenida, which parallel the harbor where the city meets the sea.
Day 2: Visit country markets, local towns, gardens and a cooking class
After breakfast, we visit local food markets and a stunning wine store to buy ingredients in the company of the chef, with whom we will prepare dinner that night. Then we go to Palafrugell for a tour of the town. Sip on a cup of coffee while we explore the main square. Afterwards, we visit a nearby lighthouse with splendid views.
Day 3 : Wander through Midieval towns and explore the coast on a sailboat
After an traditional breakfast with homemade jams and cakes, we drive to Pals, to wander around its pristine medieval roads and squares. No neon signs here!
Day 4 : Museums, monestaries and history of artists
After breakfast we drive to Figueres, where we visit the famous Salvador Dali Museum. After our surrealist experience, we venture over to the rugged Sierra de Rodes, where we visit the Monastery of San Pere. For lunch we travel to Cadaques. Then we will walk off our amazing meal and head to Port Lligat to visit Dali’s last house
Day 5 : On to the Gerona to experience its treasures, then off to Barcelona
We pack our bags and move on to Gerona, capital of the northern province of Catalonia. Here we surround ourselves with history – a cathedral with the world’s second largest nave after St. Peter, Carolingian city walls to wander – and enjoy a very modern light lunch, Catalan style
Day 6: Discover the shops, markets and unique Gaudi architecture
Breakfast this morning is in a great food market just meters from our hotel. Just a few more paces away is the Picasso Museum, the pretty Basilica of Santa Maria de la Mar, Passeig de Born and another market, turned cultural center. Then it is off to the Placa Catalunya. Wander the elegant Passeig de Gracia, where Gaudi’s Casa Battlo and Mira are nestled between the Gucci and Chanel stores. Further up the hill there is also Parc Güell, another Gaudi marvel
Day 7 : Adiós
We depart to the airport for our flights home. Those who have a later flight can enjoy more time exploring amazing Barcelona.
2 to 4 travelers: $4100/person, double occupancy
5 to 6 travelers: $3500/person, double occupancy
7 to 8 travelers: $2900/person, double occupancy
Solo traveler fee: $600