Out Adventures: This trip immediately follows our Mekong River Cruise. It’s a splendid way to extend your exotic expedition, but can also be purchased on its own. We’ll spend two nights exploring Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam and home of revolutionary leader Ho Chi Minh, followed by three days cruising Ha Long Bay in a traditional wooden boat. Peppered with thousands of limestone islands in many shapes and sizes, there’s no doubt why the bay became a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Vietnamese water puppetry show, a tradition dating back to the 11th century.
- Hanoi city tour including stops at the Ho Chi Minh complex, and the Temple of Literature which was built to honour Confucius.
- Authentic pho noodle soup lunch
- 2-night cruise aboard a traditional Indochinese wooden boat
- Excursions to charming villages, magical grottoes, and secret lakes on Ha Long Bay
- Squid fishing by moonlight (with spotlights in the water)
Day 1: Hanoi
Chào bạn! Welcome to Vietnam! If you’re joining us after the Mekong River Cruise, you’ll be flown in from Ho Chi Minh and transferred to the hotel. If not, Hanoi is your official starting point. This will be a lazy day, giving those from the cruise a chance to recuperate, while new recruits can ease into their escape.
Day 2: Hanoi
After breakfast at the hotel, immerse yourself in this bustling city with a tour that covers many must-see sights. Beginning at the Ho Chi Minh complex, where the revolutionary leader declared Vietnam’s independence in 1945.To end the day, you can grab a beer at Bia Hoi corner (where you may meet locals eager to practice their English with you). We’ve left the evening free for you to dine and explore on your own, before a major change of pace tomorrow.
Day 3: Hanoi/Ha long Bay
After an early breakfast and checkout, we’ll travel four hours to Ha Long Bay. We’ll board the Bhaya Classic, a traditional wooden boat, and sip some libations over our intro and safety briefing. Lunch will be served as we cruise to Cua Van, a floating village we can access by kayak or bamboo boat. Once we return to the main vessel, savour some sun or splurge on a massage. 2-for-1 drinks start at 5PM in the bar, followed by dinner in the restaurant. Spend the evening watching movies, or try your hand at squid fishing as we overnight near Lom Bo Island.
Day 4: Ha Long Bay/ Lan Ha Bay
Get your moving meditation on this morning with a Tai Chi lesson on the sun deck, or sleep in a bit longer until breakfast. The boat will venture towards Bai Tu Long Bay, and we’ll visit Ho Ba Ham , a trio lakes. After another delicious dinner, enjoy more movies or squid fishing during our overnight anchor at Ho Dong Tien (which is, fittingly enough, also known as Fairy Lake).
Day 5: Ha Long Bay
Start your day with more Tai Chi before breakfast as the boat returns to port, or sleep in one last time. From here, we’ll visit Luon Cave (again by kayak or bamboo boat), before we check out, enjoy brunch, and disembark. This afternoon you’ll be transferred to the airport for your flight home. We can also reserve a day room near the airport if you’ve booked an evening flight.
Departure in 2018
Jan. 15 to Jan. 19
- Flight from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi (if joining us after our Mekong Gay River Cruise)
- Arrival/departure transfers to/from accommodation booked through OUT Adventures
- Group leader from beginning to end of tour
- All meals except dinner on Day Two
- Water puppetry show
- Admission to Ho Chi Minh complex, the Temple of Literature, and the Museum of Ethnology in Hanoi